I know, just what the internet needs- another blogger. I've never felt compelled to write a blog before, but now it seems like the only sane way to share my adventures with everyone back home while abroad.
I'm moving to Spain for a year...(that's my new favorite thing to say.) It's actually become harder and harder to say that over these weeks of anticipation. Not only are things usually easier said than done, but they're also much easier said weeks in advance when the reality doesn't seem so real yet. But I'm excited, of course! Who wouldn't be? I have the most amazing year of my life ahead of me- but don't think I'm not going to miss this land o' fried butter and fireworks. Hopefully touching base with this blog will help me feel more connected to everyone that doesn't fit into my suitcase.
2. Pack up my life.
Speaking of suitcases... I think I need to get on an intense weight-lifting regimen, like, yesterday, if I'm going to be physically able to schlep my life around in two 35kg bags (yeah, I know. The metric system.) I have a vague idea of where I'll be staying when I get to Madrid, but where my suitcases will be staying is still a mystery. Some hostels have lockers I think? Either way, I'm mentally preparing to take them apartment hunting. And like most other great feats I've accomplished in this life, I'm already planning to leave packing to the last minute. Thank goodness for Space Bags!

Amazing! It's just like magic! (name that movie quote)
3. Say goodbye.
Do I have to?
Not really, thanks to the technology of the 21st century! I'll have full access to Skype, G-chat, Facebook, and Blogspot- so fear not, familia! I will be just as much of a nuisance in your lives as always :)
4. Hold my breath.
For my mother's sake, I'd love to tell you all that I feel completely prepared and ready for this trip... but the reality is that I kind of have no idea what I'm doing. But that's the point. I have to prove to myself that I can do it. I still have preparations and arrangements to set up for my arrival, but my Spanish is rusty and I'm going to get off that plane in Spain headed to some hostel I've never been to in a city I've only ever seen for 2 tour-guided days. But, I'm not the first gringa to take this on and I know I won't be the last! Nervous, but excited.
5. Get on that plane.
There's no turning back. I hope this airline has some killer tiramisu like the last flight I took from MIA to MAD. I love flying and I can't wait to be on that avión!
I hope you all found this somewhat entertaining! Snaps/Craps are always welcome :)
Gracias por leer,
Justine
im so excited for you! i doubt you'll be bored at all in the next year, but if you EVER are, here is my blog from europe.. i only sent it to basically family and like 2 friends when i was there because i was embarrassed, but now I'm not and i figure maybe you can get ideas for places to stay/eat/tour/prepare your expectations if you are in rome, prague, budapest, amsterdam, or vienna!!
ReplyDeletehttp://piinkmoon.tumblr.com/
love, megan!
Thanks Meggy- that's so helpful! I definitely need some input on my future Euro travels :) Miss you and I still really hope you can make it to Spain in the Spring!
ReplyDeleteYay, I'm so glad you're doing a blog! I love blogs. I will most definitely be following :) <3
ReplyDelete