Shabby Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dicembre in Italia

Stephanie came to visit for our birthday! I regret not blogging about this sooner because it was great. Here are the photo highlights complete with commentary.

It started in Madrid...






The Paparazzi showed up, so we had to leave our delicious lunch at Flash, Flash











We popped in for a quick art exhibit at Insituto Cervantes. You never know what you may find in this place.











Stephanie's first croqueta at Mercado San Miguel, my favorite tapas destination in Madrid.














We splurged for the 13 euro fresh calamari cone at the Mercado because it was cut and fried right before our eyes! [worth it]






Stephanie, photographer, came to school with me  [conveniently] on the day that we had a holiday party in one of my classes. We baked American-style chocolate chip and sugar cookies with authentic ingredients that I asked Steph to shlep to Spain for me. I literally saw multiple students taking 5 at a time and hiding them for later. If there's one thing I can do right in this world, it's baking a perfect chocolate chip cookie.






While Stephanie was exploring the city (and having a bang-up time) I got the tour of a bit of Torrejón de Ardoz by some of my favorite students.
This is the Spanish equivalent to sitting on Santa's lap... a bit different but just as ridiculous.

Instead of celebrating December 25th as full-blown Christmas, the Spanish observe the 6th of January (day of the three wise men- Los Tres Reyes Magos) with more Catholic-gusto than I could have ever imagined.
The tour continues- a bedazzled Puerto de Alcala by night




Birthday macaroons from a french bakery that we just couldn't resist. And it was our birthday, I mean c'mon







Birthday sushi date at Sushi Shop, best sushi I've found in Madrid






Stephanie mentioned at dinner that it would be so funny if there was a Fridays in Madrid so we could go like we have every year on our birthday since we can remember... I had happened to have seen one recently on Gran Vía that's just a hop and a skip away on the Metro. Why didn't I think of this?!

THE TRADITION LIVES ON






Shaken, not stirred



This just might be as girly as it gets

Strawberry Margarita
Raspberry Mojito









Chocolate Chip Pie in the Sky to top off a night of gluttonous birthday celebration










The next day we were off to Italy to explore Rome and Florence! I'm making this blog into a photo album because I think that's the best way to explain all of the memorable moments- a picture is worth a thousand words!



First bite of Italian Pizza at the restaurant near Termini Station
Vaticano

Vatican Museum

Cappella Sistina
The food. Let me just say that the dining experience in Italy is not to be compared. It is a magical and holy place for food to reach its utmost potential through pure gastronomic brilliance and sheer respect for the ingredients. I lied awake one night trying to figure at what time I would have to wake up the next morning in order to fit 4 meals into my day.



The most incredible velvety wine that might ever grace my lips... accompanied by a bruschetta appetizer (on the house),  pear gorgonzola gnocchi, and a glass of Prosecco (also on the house). The waiter liked us. 

Cheese and Pepper pasta. Simplicity at its finest.


St. Peter's Basilica

Sampling some Italian gelato, of course

Tiber River
View of St. Peter's Basilica from Castel Sant'Angelo


Il COLOSSEO

Roman Forum







Locks like these are bunched together all over romantic Italy- couples put them there as a symbol of their love

Shamelessly Tebowing

Fettuccine Alfredo

Piazza Venezia

Fontana di Trevi

Making a wish


Spanish Steps
Bein' sassy at the hostel
Off to Firenze...


Ponte di Vecchio



Pesto is the Besto

I spy with my little eye something delicious.



Replica of Michelangelo's David


Nutella / mascarpone crepes and cappuccino

Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedral, Piazza del Duomo


Tuscany




With our amazing new hostel buddy, Reena! Can't wait to reunite in NYC






Every single shop on the Ponte di Vecchio is a Jewelry shop.
Yeah, we took advantage of that.
I dream about this pizza

The way caprese salad was meant to be.

Cannoli time

Uffizi Gallery
Karaoke night with los Argentinos
Good luck ritual

Perfectly serene

View from Piazza de Michelangelo


Authentic tiramisu

















We had an incredible time in Italy, as you can see. It is certainly a place I would like to visit again and again. Until next time, Italia.


Okay, I'm done. You can go order that pizza now.

No comments:

Post a Comment