Shabby Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Adios, 2011!

2011 went out with a bang, some cava, 12 grapes, and multi-colored wigs. 
But I'll get to that.

First, I need to do a wrap-up on December after Stephanie and I returned from Italy. And it goes like this:  First stop, Toledo! I felt it was essential that in her short trip Stephanie saw one of the most beautiful and historically significant cities in Europe- and it's just a 30-minute ride on the train from Madrid! We stopped by the incredible Cathedral, the Synagogue, and several different marzipan shops (to feed my most recent addiction.) I didn't know how amazing marzipan is, but maybe I've just been spoiled by the special mazapan de Toledo that is all hand crafted by nuns in this amazing city surrounded by almond orchards in every direction.


Here is a [quite comical] miniature display of the nuns working away at the marzipan shop! Only in Spain.
Marzipan Castle


Landscape of Castilla - La Mancha

Synagoga de Santa Maria

            In case you find the picture and name of this synagogue confusing, let me clarify. It was originally a synagogue that the Jews asked the Muslims to build (because Arab architecture is amazing) and so it looks like a mosque. It was eventually converted into a church, as was the fate of most other religious places of worship, and renamed after Santa Maria. Oh, what we learn when eavesdropping on guided tours.





Having too good of a time to leave, but adventures in Madrid were waiting!











Back in Madrid...

Riding the Teleférico (sky lift) was on my bucket list for a while- we got a great view of the western part of Madrid, Casa de Campo, and the "river."

Rio Manzanares



Then we stopped by Parque Retiro for a quick vuelta and a breathtaking Autumn view of the reservoir.

Nochevieja, New Year's Eve
For our last night of 2011, quite a legendary year if you ask me, we stopped by Matt's for a lasagna dinner before heading to Puerta del Sol.

Wigs required.
Sol is the place to be on New Year's Eve in Madrid. I would compare the festivities there to Times Square, but on a much smaller scale. We all squeezed in the plaza so tight, you could almost lift both of your legs and hover. Somehow, we managed to distribute the 12 grapes to everyone and celebrate the coming of 2012 Spanish style. As the tradition goes, with each of the 12 gongs at midnight, you eat one grape. Bottles of Cava, a type of champagne, were spraying all around as the clock struck 12.

It was the best kind of chaos.
"I only have 11!"
-what happens when a wig falls to the ground in Sol on Nochevieja







Kindergarten Buddies































The after party commenced at La Via Láctea in Malasaña.
VH1: Making the video


Happy New Year!
I know. It's May.

P.S. Here are a few extra old photos that I thought were worth mentioning:

One day in November, I decided to get my nose pierced. Andrea and Ester met me for a couple of cañas and some moral support. YAY for spontaneity! 

The piercer
During my classes leading up to winter break, I had my students make holiday cards in English to send home to my family- some of them turned out so great and they wrote the sweetest messages.

In conclusion, teaching is the best job.


2 comments:

  1. Your blog is awesome Justine, just enough words to know whats going on and to keep it interesting and then heaps of photos; I love it!
    I wish mine was as cool, I gave up on mine after one month of travelling, I've now been gone almost 2 years haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Sharpie! I'm glad you like it :) As you can see, I'm not the greatest at keeping up... I'm back-tracking now but I know all this catch up work will be worth it one day when I'm looking back on the best year of my life :)

    ReplyDelete